Home » railML newsgroups » railml.common » [railML3] How to deal with UUIDs (Creating a new attribute for UUIDs)
Re: [railML3] How to deal with UUIDs [message #3287 is a reply to message #3280] Thu, 29 August 2024 12:26 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Christian Rößiger is currently offline  Christian Rößiger
Hello everyone,

Firstly, I would like to say that I have not used UUIDs so far and therefore have not thought in detail about how I would integrate them within a railML data exchange. If we need references to data outside the railML file, we use the designator element or equivalent(train number, ...)
However, from my experience as a developer of a railML import interface for timetable data, I would say that a distinction between UUID/Xml-Id on the reference side would be more important to me than with the Ids: When I parse a railML file and come to a reference, I need to know whether I have to search for the corresponding Id within the railML file or in some external repository/database.
I also find it helpful that standard XML parsers can check whether there is an ID for each XML reference in the railML file. If the distinction between UUID/Xml-Id is only implemented in one place (id _or_ reference), this possibility would probably no longer exist.
For these reasons, I would be prefer to explicitly distinguish between UUID/Xml-Id at least at the reference location, or better in both places.

Best regards
Christian Rößiger

--
iRFP e. K. · Institut für Regional- und Fernverkehrsplanung
Hochschulstr. 45, 01069 Dresden
Tel. +49 351 4706819 · Fax. +49 351 4768190 · www.irfp.de
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Dresden, HRA 9347

[Updated on: Thu, 29 August 2024 12:26]

Report message to a moderator

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message