Home » railML newsgroups » railML.infrastructure » [railML3] netElement aggregation (How are you working with aggregated netElements in railML3)
[railML3] netElement aggregation [message #3304] Wed, 04 September 2024 15:33 Go to previous message
Milan Wölke is currently offline  Milan Wölke
Hi all,

while working on the extensions for railML 3.3 I noticed an oddity in the infrastructure subschema, more precisely in the RTM part of the infrastructure.

When aggregating <netElement>s you specify a new <netElement> on the aggregated layer of the infrastructure. In order to express which <netElement>s of the lower layer of the infrastructure are actually aggregated into the new <netElement> you can specify them in the child element <elementCollectionOrdered> or <elementCollectionUnordered>. Thats clear and straightforward. However, I noticed that there is the option to specify multiple such collections, so you can specify multiple <elementCollectionOrdered> elements or multiple <elementCollectionUnordered>. I followed this back to the RTM which also allows for this. From my point of view this doesnt make sense. Why would one specify multiple collections of aggregated elements? If this would be elements of different layers of that are aggregated into one I think this would better be expressed with an intermediate <netElement>.

Do you use multiple such collections when aggregating <netElement>s? How would be your understanding?

If this is not used by anyone, I would propose to reduce the multiplicity here to 1 so that the meaning becomes more clear. I would also argue that this should be then taken over into RTM version 1.5.

What do you think?

Best regards, Milan

Milan Wölke – Timetable scheme coordinator
railML.org (Registry of Associations: VR 5750)
Altplauen 19h; 01187 Dresden; Germany www.railML.org

Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: [railML3] measure and distance in linear positioning systems
Next Topic: [railML3] Interpreting @applicationDirection of <linearLocation>
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 27 09:28:57 CEST 2024